Wednesday, July 15, 2009

ただいま! I'm back! (Day 1 - Narita Airport, Shinagawa, Ginza)

Yay! I'm back in Japan. 久しぶりね (It's been a while)! I can't believe it's been two years since I've been in Tokyo. Two years ago I was leaving Hawaii for the first time as a scared Maui girl. Now I am a seasoned traveler of Japan. This year, I am on the other side of the line. I am no longer the student, but an assistant to help the others in the group. Also, Scott is joining me this trip. It's his first time to Japan; a long awaited trip for him.


First thing to deal with is the plane ride, 8 hours in a plane. Scott has not gone a plane ride that long before, well one that he could remember. I think the only plane ride that was longer than this flight is the flight when he came home from being born in Germany.

This year I decided to have a special meal, a vegetarian mea
l. I don't know if that was such a smart idea. I do enjoy eating vegetables, but I still like eating some meat like fish or chicken. I was so jealous that Scott got ice cream with his lunch, that I stole some from him.

After almost 8 hours of flying, we finally reach Narita International Airport. So many memories come flashing into my mind. I started to remember how it was 2 years ago stepping foot out of the airplane and realizing that I am in a foreign country for the first time. This year it is Scott who is stepping foot into a foreign country for the first time.

There isn't much free time this year. Everyone MUST have a cell phone this year, so those that don't have a cell phone must go with Yoko and rent one. Since everyone is new to Japan, we must stay as a group and cannot wander around the airport. Everyone else tries to figure out their cell phones that they rented from CellHire and add my phone number.

I have time think about an objective for this trip. What is my objective this trip? That's a tough question to answer. There are many objectives this year. The first is to notice differences from the first Tokyo trip to this Tokyo trip. Another objective is, of course, search for more Hello Kitty. Since this course is cross-listed as a business course, I want to compare business practices of Japan to the business practices at home (and also the rest of the US).

After everyone has their cell phones, it's time to head out to catch the limo bus. I remember this part of every tri
p. We have a long ride ahead of us. The next bus is at 1:25 PM and it's a little after 1:00 PM. There isn't much time till the bus arrives. Jayson tells everyone to get something from the convenience stand in the terminal. I decide not to because there isn't anyone to watch the bags, also the bus was coming soon.

In Japan, 1:25 PM means 1:25 PM. We cannot be on Hawaii time. The bus doesn't wait for anyone. Sure enough, when everyone is in the terminal, one of the workers comes up to me asking for our tickets. I have to tell him that I don't have any right now. He asks where we are going and how many pieces of luggage are there. This year there wasn't much time to get adjusted to switching on my Japanese skills. I could only answer where we were going. I didn't know whose suitcases were whose.

Once everyone got back from the convenience stand, the bus arrives; on time as usual. I am not looking forward to the 1 hour and 30 minute ride to the hotel. Majority of the ride was familiar. I didn't realize how much construction the airport was going through, yet everything moves smoothly like the construction doesn't exist.

I force myself not to fall asleep since I want to adjust to the time difference. To think we jumped into the future in just 8 hours.
We left Hawaii at 9:00 AM Tuesday and 8 hours later we are in Japan and it's 1:30 PM Wednesday. I try to observe Scott since it is first time in Japan. All he wants me to do is take lots of pictures while he listens to his ipod. I think we went a different way to Tokyo. There were places that I don't remember seeing the first time in Tokyo. Maybe I wasn't paying much attention last time because I was feeling overwhelmed of leaving Hawaii for the first time by myself.

Finally things are starting to look familiar. I see the Shinagawa station and know that we are going to be at the hotel any second. The bus turns and we are greeted by bowing employees. Why can't we have service like this back at home? Wouldn't you want to feel like a VIP whereever you stay? Japan is a very proud nation. Everyone takes pride in their work, no matter what job position they may have. That's something Americans should learn from the Japanese. You have to pride in the company you working for because being an employee means you represent the company. Well that's the way it is held in Japan; in America, we just think about the money we are making.

Free time in the hotel, yay! Time to relax a little. I need a snack. At least I know that there is a 7 Eleven across the street. I think Scott is trying to get adjusted to his surroundings. As we walk across the street I notice him looking at all the buildings. I think he's trying to remember familiar locations, just in case we get lost. 7 Eleven never changes. When you walk in, you hear いらっしゃいませ(Irasshaimase). First thing I go for, おむすび (omusubi). Of course, Sco
tt asks me what each one says. So sad, a Japanese boy that doesn't understand Japanese; plus he has taken Japanese in high school.

It didn't take too long to get everything and get back to the hotel. That's what I like about Japan. Everything is so efficient and fast paced. Sometimes when you think a l
ot of time has gone by, it's only because you are moving so fast. At least this gives me more time to get ready for the banquet with the Meiji Gakuin students.

As we wait in the lobby for the Meiji Gakuin students to meet with us, I wonder if anyone from the first trip will be there. Jayson says that Vince is going to join us. I haven't seen him since the first trip. Last year Yoko and Jayson told me that Vince was going to school in Tokyo. I was shocked when I saw him. He looks Japanese. He has his hair dyed with his Japanese fashio
n. He also can talk a lot better and uses Japanese gestures when he talks.

The students arrive and we introduce ourselves to them. It's off to Shinagawa station at rush hour. This brings back memories of Mango. I hope no one will freak out on the train this year. This year Jayson and Yoko decide to do everything with a Suica card. I remember the first year Suica wasn't accepted by all lines, but this year it's different. How convenient. We all receive our Suica cards with about $45.00 for the entire trip. We can always add funds to the card, if we go on our own.

Time to get on the train. It's rush hour so the station is packed with people. This year we have to be pushed into the train to actually fit. I don't remember Shinagawa station being this busy the first year. I have to keep track of at least 4 people to make sure no one is left behind. I don't see anyone crying this year. That's a good sign. Time to work out my core muscles on the train. It's easy to get my balance on train since I still remember how it feels.

We tour Ginza before heading to Watami to meet the rest of the Meiji Gakuin students. I'm happy that we have more time to see Ginza this year. The first year we just walked to W
atami and breezed by the shops and buildings in Ginza.

On the way, we find a gold statue of Hello Kitty. It's amazing where you find Hello Kitty in Japan. This statue was in a florist shop. I think the owner was looking at us and thinking "gaijin."

There is always something new to find in Japan. This time in Ginza, a Nissan showroom just opened. We only have 10 minutes to look at the new Skyline Crossover. Why don't we have places like this at home? Instead of going to the dealer to look at a car while getting hassled to purchase the car, we should have showrooms where you can see the newest models without the pressure of salespeople.

After our tour is over we head over to Shimbashi to meet with the rest of the Meiji Gakuin students. This year they are all waiting for us and have scattered our seating. It's amazing how many more students wanted to meet with us this year. I think the first year there were only 30 students and this year it was close to 50.

Scott and I sit on a table with 4 Meiji Gakuin guys. It was more because there were two seats next to each other. Scott is shy like me. It takes some time for him to get comfortable, plus he wanted me to help translate with the students. After a while I decide to leave the table and mingle elsewhere. We are only going to have this one chance with these students; we have to make the most of it.


I was shocked to see that there was one person from the first trip, Maki. I decide to sit at her table. During the first trip she said she was a senior, so I was confused why she was still going to Meiji Gakuin. She told me she is getting her Masters in Psychology.

The night is winding down at Watami. It's last call for everyone. I go back to my original group and we give our omiyage to everyone. They are so happy to receive Hawaiian Host. Only recently I was curious enough to read the story that was printed on the box. I was amazed to find out that Hawaiian Host was started by a Japanese man who wanted to make the best candy. The best part of the story was that he was from Maui.

After taking group pictures outside of Watami, we take a short tour around the area so we can take some night pictures. As we are walking, we see the night life of Tokyo starting. There are businessmen meeting up to have a drink. Some are already done drinking and heading home. We see "mama-san" of hostess clubs in Ginza going to work. After watching so many J-dramas that center around the nightlife of Japan, I finally get to see it in action infront of me.

What a long day! We've been up for 24 hours, give or take an hour or 2 for a nap on the plane. It's time to wash away the day and get ready for bed. Tomorrow will be a great day. We get to see GUNDAM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment