Saturday, July 18, 2009

Tokyo Time Travel: Going from the Past to the Future (Day 4 - Asakusa and Akiba)


Day 4 is already here?!?!  How did that happen?  It seems like only yesterday we were all boarding the plane to get to Japan.  Now here we are 4 days into our trip, granted we did "lose" a day flying over to Japan.  What is the plan for today?  First we need to get all our bags down to the lobby.  We are changing hotels.  It's a good thing I packed everything last night.  All that was left was the laptop and sleeping clothes.  Today we are headed to Asakusa and Akihabara.  We are going to see the past then go to the future of Japan.



Time to say good-bye to Shinagawa and our hotel, Hotel Pacific Tokyo.  I really like this hotel.  It feels ritzy.  Maybe it's because of the way the employees are dressed.


As all our bags are packed into the moving truck it's time to take some pictures of the hotel that housed us for these 3 days.  This picture was taken as we were walking to the Shinagawa station.


It's time to head to Asakusa.  As we head to the station, it's not as congested as a weekday.  There are still a lot of people, but Shinagawa station is a transition station where you connect to the subway or the shinkansen (bullet train).  Asakusa is quite a ways away from Shinagawa.



What is Asakusa known for?  For me, it is sento (bath house).  That's all I can think of when you say Asakusa.  But what it is really known for is Kaminarimon (thunder gate).  Many flock to Sensouji to see the giant lantern with the word Kaminarimon written on it.  What most don't know about Sensouji is that it is Tokyo's oldest temple.  This time we have free time right when we get there.  There is so many people here this time.  I think it's because it is earlier than the first year.  The first year we got here right before all the shops and temple were closing.  Plus there isn't a typhoon this year.


Time to head into the market area.  What a smart idea.  Have the market area before reaching the actual temple.  Knowing that many people will flock to the temple, have prime merchant real estate in front of the temple.  I wonder how you get a spot in this market area.


Here is a picture of the marketplace at the start of the path to the temple.  You cannot even see the gate to the temple.



It's time for some shopping.  So many shops.  Where to start?  For me, it's time to find some Hello Kitty (of course).  There are so many vendors that sell Hello Kitty items.  Just have to be selective on where I get it.  But on my way to finding Hello Kitty, I see a shop selling zori.  They are cheap too (500 yen).  I really need different footwear for my aching feet.  The lady is so nice in finding my size.  I have big feet in Japanese standards.  Who would have thought that U.S. 7 is a large in Japan.


This picture was taken midway to the temple.  You can see the lantern, but it is so tiny.  Still so many shops to go to.


After browsing a few more places for Hello Kitty, I decide it's time to go to the temple.  There is only an hour left in our free time.  Time to book it towards the temple.  If there are this many people in the marketplace, imagine the amount of people waiting in line or in the temple area.



Heading towards the temple, I can smell the incense in the air.  It is calming to smell incense, for me.



I finally made it to the inner gate (Hozomon).  Just a little more and I get to the actual temple.  First, time to offer incense.  It's a calming experience.  Time to cleanse my mind.  It's a good way to keep my mind off of my hurting feet.


The last Tokyo trip we didn't have a chance to go inside of the temple.  I think we either got there too late, or it was under construction.  I think it was under construction.  I'm excited to see what it looks like.  This is such a popular temple for Tokyo-ans and tourist alike.

It's so crowded.  I don't have much time to really take everything in.  My stomach is taking over.  Time to find some food before we have to leave Asakusa.  Good thing there are vendors out for the summer season.  Of course I head for yakitori.


After getting some food into my stomach, it's time to head back to our meeting place.  As me and Scott walk back, we decided to take a different route than the way we came.  It was a good and bad thing.  We got to see a quieter side to the temple; a place with no crowds.  But then, we found a shop that sold Kamen Rider action figures.  Again, I had to use my Japanese speaking skills to make things easier on the owners.  In the end, they gave a small discount to us (ラッキ)!  I guess it's good to talk story with these people.  They get really interested when you say you're from Hawaii.


Now we really have to rush and get back.  On the way I see lots of Taishu Engeki like statues around.  Asakusa is known for having Taishu Engeki performances.  I wish we could have seen a show.  I got hooked from last year.  I can't believe we almost tried to get out of it last year.  When you hear that we are going to see something that's 3+ hours long, you are a little hesitant to see it.  In the end, we LOVED it.


It was a little funny that fellow Americans asked me to take a picture for them.  When they asked, they did the motions thinking I was Japanese.  I get that far too often even at home.  It was funny when I told them that I was American.



It's almost the start of new hour.  I know what that means.  The clock show is about to start.  I tell Scott that we need to hurry.  I don't want to miss out on this.  Last time, my camera battery died and couldn't take pictures of the clock.  As I rush, I get the last part of the show where all the panels are open.  Everyone is watching.  Maybe I should have taken a picture of that.  It's amazing that for those 5 minutes, people watch in awe.

It's time to meet with our tour guide for Akihabara (Akiba).  It's nice that she's meeting us at Asakusa.  As we wait in the Asakusa office, Jayson passes out Salonpas.  I'm so relieved when I put it on my feet.

Time to head to Akiba. 

Welcome to Akiba.  What a great sign to see.  Akiba is one of my favorite places in Tokyo.  I'm otaku at heart.  I may not look it but I am.  Too bad we are on a guided tour.  I would be running straight to Yodobashi Camera.  Yodobashi is a department store that has floors and floors of electronics.  It's like the one-stop superstore for electronics.


What luck (やった)!  That's where we are headed first.  But first, we need a place to put all our stuff away.  We try to find coin lockers close to the station.  We all try to share lockers to save costs.  Also there isn't enough lockers available.  I'm not surprised.  You have to think how many people are in Tokyo and how many of them commute.  The thing is, how do you remember where you left your things?  The answer:  you look at your receipt ("key").  It has the location of your locker, well the general area.


Ah, Yodobashi, how I've missed you!  We have some free time to browse around.  It's not enough time!  Yodobashi needs 2 days of attention.  But we all have to make due.


I am amazed how many people are here today.  Well it is a Saturday.  Plus, it is the sale season.  Lines are so long.  Scott and I only have a chance to go the music and movie department which I remember where it is located.


After purchasing out stuff, we have to head back to the entrance.  I'm so sad.  Oh well, have to plan to come back either after the tour is over or on our free time.


Time to make our way through the streets of Akiba.  There is so many people around.  Every where we look someone is having a sale.  The first year we came we didn't have a guided tour.  Everything went by really fast because of the typhoon.  Plus we were behind schedule the first year.


This time everything is planned out.  First stop, Kotobukiya.  Lots and lots of otaku stuff.  Plus it's 2 floors.  Too bad we don't have much time to look around.  At least I got to buy a Hello Kitty x Gloomy (Hello Kitty dressed as Gloomy Bear) shirt.  Don't think I will find one at home.


We're off to our next location, Imon.  It is a shop for people that build robots and models.  If we didn't have this guided tour, I wouldn't have known this place existed.  It is amazing the kind of robots they had on display.  The best part is that you can actually build these robots if you have the time and money.


Of course I HAD to take a picture of the Hello Kitty robot.  I wanted to buy it!


As everyone else is looking around the shop, I decided to wait outside.  My feet are still sore.  I look around from the stairwell at the people walking around.


Akiba is full of side streets.  I notice a cafe maid passing out fliers.  In Japan, cafe maids do not allow people to take pictures of them in public.  You can at their cafe for a price.  Other than that, when they see a camera pointed at them, they turn the other way.  Here was my opportunity to get a picture of one.


On our way to our next location I see Evangelion.  Well, Evangelion coin lockers.  I would have used these instead of the ones by the station.  I would probably forget where these lockers were.  They are not on the main street, but on some side street.  There weren't many people walking down this street either.


The thing that amazes me is how new it looks.  It's not beat up or vandalized.  That's the charm of Japan.  You can have special lockers like these and not worry about vandalism.



Where are we headed next?  I'm not really sure.  I hear something on a loud speaker.  It's a maid cafe.  Apparently they just opened.  And guess what?  That's where we are headed.  The tour guide has planned for us to go here since it is new.  It would be a little easier to accommodate our group.  I wanted to go to @Home Cafe, but this was fine.  At least this year we get to experience the maid cafe as a group and not just who could make it to one.


Because they were out on the balcony, I got a chance to get another picture.


We get into the elevator and once the doors open we are greeted with お帰りなさいませ(Welcome home, master).  I think it is a different experience for girls than it is for guys.


No pictures are allowed.  Well, we can take pictures of our food but nothing else.  If we want a picture with a maid we would have to pay.  I would have but no one else wants to, plus no time.


Everyone seems a little irate.  The experience goes downhill because of it.  Maybe it's just too hot and people are tired.  It has been a long day.  The tour isn't over yet.


I got a picture of the omu-rice (omelet rice).  It was so cute when the maid drew the bear on it.


It must have been tasty because they ate it all.


~美味しくなれ美味しくなれもえもえぐ ^_^


Time to head to our next location, Mandarake.  This place is 4 floors of anime items; from costumes to action figures.  Of course we have to head to the action figure floor for Scott.  Can't believe it is the top floor.  At least we found the last action figure Scott was looking for.  His collection is complete.  Only cost him over $300 (for action figures).


Time to head to Don Quixote.  Not a moment too soon.  I really need to find a restroom.  That's what I notice in Akiba.  There isn't much restrooms.


There is so much people.  I forgot about the Akihabara massacre.  I wanted to ask but other things were on my mind.  Plus I don't think many people in the group knew about it.  Do you know about the Akihabara massacre?


In June 2008, Tomohiro Kato drove a truck into pedestrian traffic on Chuo-dori (closed to automobile traffic on Sundays).  After hitting 5 people, he then got out of the truck and attacked those tending the injured with a knife.


Enough of the grim story.



We made it to Don Quixote!  I know because I see the penguin.  5 floors of random things otaku.


First things first, restroom.  It seems like everyone needed to go.  Maybe it wasn't a good idea to get coffee at the maid cafe.  Caffeine and the wonders it does.


We get to browse around for a while.  All I know is that the costumes are on the top floor.  Now, how to get there.  I know it was an interesting set up.  We find our way there.  Got to buy my cosplay outfits.  I still haven't gotten the chance to wear them.  One day I will wear them.

I forgot that the @Home Cafe is in Don Quixote, well one of them.  Too bad there isn't much time to go in.  Maybe on our free time we can make it.


One more stop on our guided tour, gashapon (capsule toys).  A whole building with just vending machines that dispense gashapon.  I would have bought the Hello Kitty ones but it's so expensive for them.


Our tour is over!  Now we head back to get our things from the coin locker.  We have the choice between going to the sento (bathhouse) or go to the hotel.  At first I thought we were all going to the sento, but people have change their mind.  Plus, we need to check into the hotel.  So, Jayson volunteered to check everyone in.  I know it was a big sacrifice for him.


So it's just me, Sheila, Heather, Yoko and Scott.  Poor Scott, the only guy in the group.  He has to experience the sento by himself.  Time to head back to Asakusa.  It is the only day we can do it since Shinjuku (where our new hotel is) is quite far from Asakusa.  I really need the sento.  My feet are still sore.


We are back to where we started this morning, Asakusa.  Time to go to 100 yen shop to buy towels.  Now we are ready for the sento!  Everything is as I remember.  That's another charm Japan has.  With all that changes, there are still places that stay the same (preserved).  I'm so happy that we are here.  I rush to the vending machine to get my tickets.  I get the bath, sauna, shampoo, and conditioner.  I'm all set.


It's nice to get out the crowded areas of Tokyo and go into places like these.  The locals come regularly and make friendships.  The ladies start talking to us because we are foreign.  They ask where we are from (all in Japanese), why we are here, etc.  Time for a soak in the tub.  Bubbling (more like boiling) water to soothe the aching muscles.  I hope Scott is doing okay.  There isn't anyone to explain what to do.  But he's smart enough to figure it out.  At least I told him the most important rule:  if you see someone who openly shows off their tattoo, you better cover yours.  It's a good thing I told him that, because there was someone that was yakuza that went into the men's side.


I don't know how long we were there, but I didn't want to leave.  But we had to meet Jayson for dinner.  So we planned to leave around 8 PM.  It was nice going from the tub to the sauna back to the tub and then back into the sauna.  Then it was 8 PM.  Aw time to get out.


We get to ride on a new subway line, a faster one.  I don't have that line on my map.  Yoko says that it just opened (only a few months).  Time to check out our hotel room, since Jayson already checked us all in.  Not much time to rest, time for some FOOD.


We all meet across the street of our hotel.  There's a restaurant called Royal Host.  OMG.  This place is like Denny's but serves alcohol.  Nothing goes better with the sento than beer.  The set up in Royal Host is very smart.  There is smoking and non-smoking in Japan still.  You seat yourself.  The menus are already at your table.  When you are ready to order, there is a button to press to call the waiter.  That's something America should install.  It would make the dining experience much better.  Instead of the waiter constantly asking if you are ready, or waiting forever for the waiter to come take your order.


I was so happy when my food came.  It seemed like a short time from ordering when our food was ready.  Maybe we were busy talking about the trip and everyone's experience at the sento.  I was so hungry.  The last time I had food was at the maid cafe.  It was only a piece of cake.  So of course I'm hungry.  I had chicken, of course.  It comes sizzling hot.  The picture may look small, but the piece was actually big.

Scott got Japan's version of a locomoco.  He said it was really good.  I don't really care.  I'm not a meat eater.  Well, I don't eat mammals (as my ex-boyfriend put it).



After dinner, it's time to get breakfast for tomorrow.  Good thing there's a big convenience store in the hotel.  I don't know where the 7-eleven is in Shinjuku yet.  Time for some sleep.  Tomorrow, I get my haircut!

No comments:

Post a Comment